Speaking and Writing
Speaking and Writing section is the first part of the PTE test. You are assessed on your ability to repeat sentences, respond to questions and summarize passages. In the Speaking section, you will first listen to an audio and then provide a response with the help of a microphone. In the Writing section, you have to summarize a passage and compose an essay. You will get 77-93 minutes to complete this section.
Speaking Question Types:
- Personal Introduction (Unscored)
- Read Aloud
- Repeat Sentence
- Describe Image
- Re-tell Lecture
- Answer Short Question
Writing Question Types:
The writing section consists of two tasks:
- Task I consists of Summary Writing (2-3 items, each of 10 min duration)
- Task II consists of Essay topic (1-2 essays each of 20 min duration)
Useful Tips for PTE Speaking
- Speak at natural pace, at normal volume (neither too quietly nor too quickly), and with natural accent.
- Carry on as usual if you commit a minor error while speaking. There is no need to correct or repeat.
- It is important to keep speaking even if it is only to make a sound or buy time.
- Take note of the "Time Remaining" at the top right and "Next" button at the bottom right of screen.
Tips for Read Aloud (6 - 7 Questions)
- Speak as soon as you hear a tone prompting you to speak.
- Recognize and follow the punctuation marks but don’t name them.
Tips for Repeat Sentence (8 - 10 Questions)
- Recording of one sentence at a time is played. Typically these are short sentences.
- Listen to the sentence attentively and try to repeat as many words in order as possible.
- Speak in a relaxed manner copying the stresses and the intonation pattern as in the recording.
- Don’t stop speaking as the microphone will close after 3 seconds of silence. It is better to use fillers.
Tips for Describe Image (6 - 8 Questions)
- Identify and name, the type of image as well as the headings, labels and axes.
- Identify ‘what’ (main point).
- Identify ‘wither’ (trend) or ‘how’ (comparison of entities, as proportions in a pie chart).
- Identify exceptions (highest, lowest values).
Tips for Re-tell Lecture (2 - 3 Questions)
- While listening, take notes for clue words and short phrases.
- Use the 10 sec prep time allowed to formulate your answer.
- Try to start with the topic sentence.
- Try to cover these main points in just 40 seconds – no less, no more.
Tips for Answer Short Question (10 - 12 Questions)
- Answer in one word (or two) or a phrase.
Useful Tips for PTE WRITING
- Plan the write up before you actually start writing.
- Stick to the word limit (lower and upper).
Tips for Summarize Written Text (2 - 3 Items)
- Make sure that the summary is in one sentence only.
- Stick to the text.
- Make it a point to include key words in the summary.
- Take a note of the time as well. You get 10 minutes to complete each item.
Tips for Write Essay (1 - 2 Items)
- Read the prompt carefully. If your essay does not connect with the prompt, the score is zero.
- Identify the essay type.
- Identify and note down key words in the prompt.
- Make an Essay Plan.
- Divide your essay into paragraphs (1 + 2/3 + 1).
- Para 1 is introduction, last paragraph is conclusion, the 2/3 body paragraphs are reasons.
- Stick to the word limit (200-300).